Piped Natural Gas (PNG) which is being supplied through pipelines & used by domestic customers in societies, colonies, multi-storey buildings etc. is known as Domestic PNG connections. The natural gas is a composition of hydrocarbons (~ 95% Methane & other Hydro Carbons).
- Ensure the gas stove/ burner & rubber pipe is ISI certified, keep checking the rubber pipe for any cuts or damage periodically.
- Keep away combustible or flammable materials from kitchen.
- Don’t cover the gas pipeline & rubber pipe, maintain cleanliness around.
- Don’t tamper with any component of the gas connection; keep children away.
- Ignite match stick first and then switch on the gas supply, it’s safer.
- Use cotton apron & hand gloves during cooking & while handling utensils.
- Avoid direct contact of hot utensils or liquids with the rubber pipe.
- Never leave the burner or stove unattended while cooking, when finished make sure you close the burner knob and gas tap.
- During vacations or when away from home for a longer duration, ensure the main control valve is closed.
Dealing with difficulties
Gas leakage can be easily detected as it has a peculiar smell or odour. In the case of gas leakage/ stoppage of gas flow-
- Do not ignite match stick or lighter or switch on any electric appliances
- All doors/ windows to be opened to facilitate ventilation.
- Inform the service provider & firefighters as appropriate, for this make sure emergency numbers are available with you.
- Keeping a portable fire extinguisher (ABC type) handy is always a good idea to deal with fire.