Situation that poses an immediate risk to health, life, property, or environment called an emergency.
Emergency may be the result of deviation from normal operational conditions or any natural calamities such as earthquakes, cyclones, flood or sabotage etc. which may affect/ cause serious injuries, loss of lives, and extensive damage to property or disruption of work.
Apart from the above emergencies may take place through the collapse of structures, scaffoldings, etc.; accidental contact with live electrical cables/ wires, accidental exposure to toxic/ corrosive content of chemicals during accident handling; landslides in the excavated area, etc.
A plan to deal with an emergency situation if ready results in less damage or contain the severity. The key to a successful emergency plan is mock drill, need to conducted/ practised periodically to check the level of preparedness.
Objective of emergency preparedness can be further summarized as under-
- Safeguard the personnel located at project/ premises.
- Minimize damage to property and environment.
- Organize rescue and treatment of affected persons.
- Initially, contain and ultimately bring the incident under control.
- Identify the causalities & provide required support.